Mr Gok Ratnarajan
Mr Gok Ratnarajan is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon specialising in Cataract, Glaucoma and Anterior Segment Reconstructive Surgery. He is Director of Glaucoma Services at the prestigious Queen Victoria Hospital.
Mr Ratnarajan graduated from University College London and completed his Ophthalmology training in Oxford. He has completed a MD research degree at The Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. This research led to improved safety and less waiting times for glaucoma patients in a multi-centre national study.
Mr Ratnarajan is one of only a handful of surgeons world-wide who is fellowship trained in glaucoma, complex cataract as well as anterior segment reconstructive surgery. He gained this experience during his 3 specialist surgical fellowships at The Oxford Eye Hospital, The Western Eye Hospital in London and the world renowned fellowship at the University of Toronto, Canada, where he has learnt and developed many new glaucoma surgeries, some of which he has then pioneered in the UK.
Mr Ratnarajan brings innovation in eye care to the UK to help treat his patients with safer and more effective treatments.
Glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible sight-loss. Eye drops have been the main-stay of glaucoma treatment for many decades. Mr Ratnarajan is able to offer the latest laser and minimally invasive surgical treatments to prevent glaucoma progression and reduce dependence on eye drops.
Patients appreciate Mr Ratnarajan’s gentle and empathetic approach. He takes the time to explain the diagnosis to his patients so they understand their condition and its treatment.
- NHS Clinical Excellence award 2019
- Best Paper International Congress Glaucoma Society 2018
- Royal College of Ophthalmologist’s Keeler Scholarship 2016
- Best Poster UKEGS 2015
- Gold medal UKISCRS 2015
- Best Cataract Paper UKISCRS 2015
- HCA International Foundation Grant for Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery 2015
- European Glaucoma Panel ARVO Presentation Prize, 2015
- Best of the Best Presentation ESCRS, 2012
- National Institute for Health Research Flexibility and Sustainability award, 2012
- Health Innovation and Education Cluster Fellowship, 2011
- Pantalon AD, Barata ADO, Georgopoulos M, Ratnarajan G. Outcomes of phacoemulsification combined with two iStent inject trabecular microbypass stents with or without endocyclophotocoagulation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jan 24. pii: bjophthalmol-2019-315434. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-315434
- Sherwin JC, Ratnarajan G, Salmon JF. Effect of a punctal plug on ocular surface disease in patients using topical prostaglandin analogues: A randomized controlled trial-response. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2019 Mar;47(2):301. doi: 10.1111/ceo.13387
- Szigiato AA, Sandhu S, Ratnarajan G, Dorey MW, Ahmed IIK. Surgeon perspectives on learning ab-interno gelatin microstent implantation. Can J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jun;53(3):246-251. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2017.10.005.
- Ratnarajan G, Jolly JK, Yusuf IH, Salmon JF. The effect of trabeculectomy surgery on the central visual field in patients with glaucoma using microperimetry and optical coherence tomography. Eye (Lond). 2018 Apr 30. doi: 10.1038/s41433-018-0095-2.
- Yusuf IH, Jolly JK, Ratnarajan G, Salmon JF. Microperimetry and optical coherence tomography imaging in the fellow eye of patients with unilateral focal ischaemic glaucoma. Eye (Lond). 2018 Apr 30. doi: 10.1038/s41433-018-0094-3.
- Sherwin JC, Ratnarajan G, Elahi B, Bilkiewicz-Pawelec A, Salmon JF. Effect of a punctal plug on ocular surface disease in patients using topical prostaglandin analogues: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2018 Apr 26. doi: 10.1111/ceo.13311.
- King C, Sherwin JC, Ratnarajan G, Salmon JF. Twenty-year outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed glaucoma: mortality and visual function. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Mar 3. pii: bjophthalmol-2017-311595. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2017-311595.
- Mohamed-Noriega J, Scott A, Pinto LA, Rousseau A, Garway-Heath D; Writing Committee for the International Glaucoma Panel. Cautious interpretation of the associations between systemic hypertension, antihypertensive medications and the risk of developing glaucoma. J Hypertens. 2017 Nov;35(11):2328-2329. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000001537.
- Yusuf IH, Ratnarajan G, Kerr RS, Salmon JF. Normal-Tension Glaucoma and Low Cerebrospinal Fluid Pressure. J Glaucoma. 2017 Mar;26(3):e133-e134.
- Author’s reply. Lawrenson JG, Baker H, Ratnarajan G, Harper RA, Edgar DF.
- Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2017 Jan;37(1):113-114. doi: 10.1111/opo.12347. No abstract available.
- Baker H, Ratnarajan G, Harper RA, Edgar DF, Lawrenson JG. Effectiveness of UK optometric enhanced eye care services: a realist review of the literature. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2016 Sep;36(5):545-57. doi: 10.1111/opo.12312. Review.
- Yusuf IH, Ratnarajan G, Kerr RS, Salmon JF. Juvenile-onset Normal Tension Glaucoma from Chronic Recurrent Low Cerebrospinal Fluid Pressure. J Glaucoma. 2016 Aug;25(8):e738-40.
- Ratnarajan G, Thompson A, Dodridge C, Parry A, Elston J. Novel variant of Miller Fisher syndrome occurring with tumour necrosis factor alpha antagonist therapy. JAMA Neurology 2015 Nov 1;72(11):1377-1378.
- Ratnarajan G, Hirn C, Normando E, Poli M, Scott A, Munoz M, Karmiris T, Garway-Heath D. Comparison of risk factor profiles for primary open angle glaucoma subtypes defined by pattern of visual field loss: true risk factors or arbituary definition? Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2015 Oct 1;56(11):6531.
- Jayaram H, Pinto LA, Prokosch V, Matlach J, Skonieczna K, Mercieca K, Digiuni M, Mocan MC, Mahave S, Andersson S, Ratnarajan G, Garway-Heath DF; Writing Committee for the European Glaucoma Panel. Circadian Arterial Blood Pressure Variation and Glaucoma Progression: More Questions Than Answers? Am J Hypertens. 2015 Sep;28(9):1182-3.
- Ratnarajan G, Kean J, French K, Parker M, Bourne R. The false negative rate and the role for virtual review in a nationally evaluated glaucoma referral refinement scheme. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists) 2015 Sep;35(5):577-81.
- Ratnarajan G, Coombes E, Jones A, Parker M, Bourne R. The equity profile of an enhanced optometry scheme. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics: the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists) 2015; 35: 243–44.
- Ratnarajan G, Alexander I, Cuthertson F et al. Impact of Cataract Surgery on Sleep in Patients Receiving either Ultra-Violet Blocking or Blue-Filtering Intraocular Lens Implants. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Jun 26. pii: IOVS-14-14054.
- Ratnarajan G, Somner J, Coombes E, Jones A, Bourne R. Awareness of sight-testing entitlements in patients referred for suspected glaucoma. Eye (Lond) 2014;28(4):504-5.
- Ratnarajan G, Wormald R, Astbury N. The NHS Act of 1951; is it time to re-act? Eye (Lond) 2013;27(6):685-7.
- Ratnarajan G, Newsom W, Vernon SA, et al. The effectiveness of schemes that refine referrals between primary and secondary care--the UK experience with glaucoma referrals: the Health Innovation & Education Cluster (HIEC) Glaucoma Pathways Project. BMJ open 2013;3(7).
- Ratnarajan G, Calladine D, Bird KJ, Watson SL. Delayed presentation of severe ocular injury from a button battery. BMJ case reports 2013;2013.
- Ratnarajan G, Wormald R. Peep into policy, politics, Parliament. Perspectives in public health 2013;133(1):7.
- Ratnarajan G, Newsom W, French K, et al. The impact of glaucoma referral refinement criteria on referral to, and first-visit discharge rates from, the hospital eye service: the Health Innovation & Education Cluster (HIEC) Glaucoma Pathways project. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists) 2013;33(2):183-9.
- Ratnarajan G, Newsom W, French K, et al. The effect of changes in referral behaviour following NICE guideline publication on agreement of examination findings between professionals in an established glaucoma referral refinement pathway: The Health Innovation & Education Cluster (HIEC) Glaucoma Pathways project. The British journal of ophthalmology 2012; 97(2):210-4.
- Ratnarajan G, Nath R, Appaswamy S, Watson SL. Intravitreal injections using a novel conjunctival mould: a comparison with a conventional technique. The British journal of ophthalmology 2012; 97(4):395-7.
- Ratnarajan G, Packard R, Ward M. Combined occlusion-triggered longitudinal and torsional phacoemulsification during coaxial microincision cataract surgery: effect on 30-degree mini-flared tip behavior. Journal of cataract and refractive surgery 2011;37(5):825-9.
- Ratnarajan G, Mellington F, Saldanha M, de Silva SR, Benjamin L. Long-term visual and retinopathy outcomes in a predominately type 2 diabetic patient population undergoing early vitrectomy and endolaser for severe vitreous haemorrhage. Eye (Lond) 2011;25(6):704-8.
- Ratnarajan G, Calladine D, Watson SL. Cross-action capsulorhexis forceps for coaxial microincision cataract surgery. Journal of cataract and refractive surgery 2011;37(8):1559-60.
- Calladine D, Ratnarajan G, McAllister J. New polyethylene glycol 'hydrogel bandage' technique to cover the conjunctival-limbal wound in fornix-based trabeculectomy surgery. Clinical & experimental ophthalmology 2011;39(9):921-3.